Maths (GCSE – Years 7-11)
Examination Board/Syllabus: Edexcel (1MA1)
Examination/Assessment Dates (including coursework details and deadlines):
Students will sit three exams (2 calculator and 1 non-calculator) in Year 11 which contribute 100% to the GCSE. The course is entirely exam-assessed and has no assessed coursework element to it.
Edexcel GCSE (9-1) in Mathematics 1MA1
Overview of content
- Ratio, proportion and rates of change
- Geometry and measures
Overview of assessment
· Three written papers: each contributes of the final grade (two calculator, one non-calculator)
· The exams will be graded on a nine grade scale from 9-1 using the total mark across all three papers where 9 is the highest grade.
· Tiered papers:
· Foundation Tier grades 1-5 available
· Higher Tier grades 4-9 available
· Each paper: 1 hour 30 minutes (both Foundation and Higher papers)
- 80 marks on each paper
- Each paper has a range of question types, questions will be set in both mathematical and non-mathematical contexts.
The course is made up of 2 tiers, higher and foundation, as outlined above. Teaching staff will make a decision about which tier of entry is most appropriate for individual students closer to the exam in Year 11.
Recommended Revision Guides:
Any revision guide which covers the course outlined above will be appropriate. We do sell one in school – please ask in the maths department for further details.
The most effective way of revising for a maths exam is to do practice questions and exam-style papers. Sample papers are available on the Edexcel website https://qualifications.pearson.com/
In addition to this, students can bring a memory stick into school and download papers and mark schemes if they would like more papers to practice at home.
More details of the course can be found on the website:
The school also gives our students the opportunity to gain other nationally recognised qualifications.
All students will sit Edexcel Functional Skills Maths. These are exams that are more relevant to everyday Maths compared to some of the topics in the GCSE. The Level 1 is equivalent to a low GCSE, the Level 2 is equivalent to a GCSE grade 4. There are also some easier Entry level papers so that the students can gain a qualification while practising for Level 1.
For entry-level past papers, click this link:
For Levels 1 and 2 past papers, click this link:
For some of the more confident students, we also offer Edexcel Number and Measure, Algebra and Statistical Methods exams.